Saturday, July 21, 2012

Flower Folds Pin/Bag Tag

I enjoy making flower pins with the Flower Folds die and the Big Shot.  These flowers get zapped with the heat tool in order to shrink them, and curl up the petals.  For this technique to work, you  need to  use synthetic fabric--the cheaper the better.  Not a sewer?  Not a problem!  I know how to sew, but I still need a lot of guidance while I'm sitting at the machine (thanks, Mom--she's good like that!).  So, I'm all about anything I can cut out with the Big Shot, and glue together.



You will need all four flowers for one pin.  All four flowers will layer togegther to make a beautiful flower.  I turned mine into pins, but they make great bag tags or look great on the front of a card.  After cutting out the fabric, you will want to zap each flower layer with the heat tool.  This will shrink the fabric and curl the petals.  The fabric tends to blow and flop around as the air from the heat tool hits it.  I hold it in place with a "clip on a stick"--just don't touch the metal part--ouch!!



The heat tool really reduces the size. 



Layer the flower togther with hot glue--no sewing for me!


Now, for the fun and messy part....make your own shimmer spritz with rubbing alcohol, Shimmer Paint, drops of ink refills in an empty hairspray bottle (Stampin' Up! now sells these really cool Spriter Bottles).  Shake well and spray.  The more drops of ink you use and the more you spritz, the more concentrated the color will be.  Allow to dry. Make sure you protect your work surface. 


Look at those awesome shimmery flowers!  Ink Refills used:  Rich Razzleberry, Melon Mambo, Wisteria Wonder, Calypso Coral, Lucky Limeade, Pool Party, Elegant Eggplant, Island Indigo
On a few of them, I sprayed them with two different colors for a two-toned effect--turned out very cool!


Oh, my goodness...look at my hands!


Add a button and ribbon or thread to the center for a finished look.  To thread ribbon cut the end of the ribbon thin enough to thread through button hole.  Tie in knot.  Hot glue to front of flower.   Finish by hot gluing a pin on the back.  Add clip or key chain for bag tag.






They hold up pretty well...the one above is on one of my Vera totes that I cart around everywhere including SLC to Convention!!!!  If I wanted to "seal" the edges, I could just zap it with the heat tool again. 


This bunch of 6 pink pins  (Melon Mambo) are for a Fabric Flower Pin swap at convention and for general 3D swaps.  Don't wear pins, they make great bag tags.  Or, glue a magnet to the back and display them on the frig.  Happy Creating!  Bye for now, Maria

No comments:

Post a Comment